Monday, January 31, 2011

Minnesota Geocacher of the Week- Caching Grandpa


We will be starting a weekly feature where we will ask a few questions from local cachers. The goal of this is to let cachers get to know each other better and to have more seasoned cachers provide advice to newbies.

Tell us about your caching name and why you chose it?

I chose CachingGrandpa because my first experience caching was with my grand children in MI. Then when I started caching in MN It became a family event with my 3 grand children here 2, 3, 11 years old. We went caching almost ever Sunday after church. 5 years later we still cache a lot together.

How long have you been caching and what got you interested in geocaching?

I have been caching almost 6 years. My daughter took me caching in MI one summer when I visited her there. I was hooked immediately. I was living in Baltimore by myself at the time so had a lot of time and my kids bought be a GPS for fathers day and I have been caching ever since.

What is your favorite Twin Cities area cache and why?

TopGear's Evil Island GC1JV10. There was a lot of publicity around this one when it was first placed and I made several trips before I found it. There was another cache that I liked a lot but could not find the GC code It was hidden in a big round rock placed among a bunch of sharp jagged rocks The hint was "something different". Found it caching with both son-in-laws and ones father, and my grand kids.

Tell us your best caching memory or adventure?

There have been so many it's hard to pick the best. Just spending so much time both with the grand kids and alone walking in the woods has been a great time.

How many finds and hides? What is your favorite cache you have hid and why?

1,118 finds and 14 hides. Mushroom cache GC1H7PV. One of my more unique hides

What is the best caching advise you can give to a newbie and what was your biggest mistake when you first started caching?

ALWAYS mark your car before caching. More than once I have been lost trying to find my car.

Any caching trips planned in the near future?

No trips planned right now. Just back from a visit to Breckenridge, CO where I cached while my grandson went snowboarding. Waiting for Spring/Summer so I don't have to walk through knee high snow and get so cold.

Ammo can or nano?

Ammo can at least a mile hike in a state park.

Anything else you would like to tell us?

Go Caching! Try them all! Enjoy the peace and quite and beauty that the Lord has made.

No comments:

Post a Comment